Emmy’s Academy is NOW OPEN!
What will your donation provide? Click here to find out.
- $25 = a circle time learning activity
- $50 = a variety of musical instruments for therapy
- $100 = an hour of childcare at Emmy’s Academy
- $125 = an hour of physical, occupational, or speech therapy
- $280 = a day’s salary for our Special Education teacher and Parapro
- $500 = an iPad for therapeutic play, learning activities and a communication device
In Atlanta, finding qualified childcare for children with developmental challenges is extremely difficult and if care can be found, it is often very expensive. With the rise of two parent working households, the need for affordable care for children with special needs is desperately needed now more than ever. Families are often faced with a choice when deciding on childcare: Try to find care for their child with special needs, which will not meet the needs of the child, or find a caretaker – usually a parent who has to give up their career – to provide the appropriate care the child needs. In both cases the needs of the family go unmet.
July 9, 2015: With the recent announcement of Pediatria Centers closing in Georgia, the need for Emmy’s Academy is that much greater! Please help us as we provide this much needed and specialized care to the children of Georgia. Article:Pediatria Closes in Georgia
Did you know?
- 16% or an estimated 371,671 of children in Georgia have special needs. 101,417 of them are under the of age 6.
- 15.9% of parents indicated that in the last year their employment was affected by childcare issues forcing them to quit, not take, or change their job.
- 9.7% of parents stated that their child’s behavior affected their ability to find childcare.
- 51.2% of parents who had a child with developmental, emotional or behavioral issues had to make different childcare arrangements in the past month or had to make changes in employment status in the last year.
- 12.4% of parents reported that their child’s health limited their ability to find childcare.
Corrigan Care is bridging the gap between the lack of affordable childcare for children with special needs and developmentally appropriate care. Emmy’s Academy is focused on providing affordable, developmentally appropriate childcare with early learning programs to children with special needs who would not otherwise have access to these services. Last year, Corrigan Care served approx 100 children from seven metro Atlanta counties.
Let’s work together
Our first classroom is led by a highly-trained special education teacher, Glenda Mateo, experienced assistant teachers and qualified facilitators. Each child at Emmy’s Academy will have their own Care Team comprised of parents/guardians, therapists, facilitators, and teachers. The Care Team will determine where the child is developmentally and create a personalized PLAY™.
What is PLAY™?
PLAY™ is Emmy’s Academy’s daily personalized developmental care plan: a PLAn for You. PLAYs™ are designed to encompass the child’s developmental landscape by incorporating therapy, learning, and socializing into their own playful environment. Their PLAY™ will be adjusted as accomplishments occur, skills emerge or if a child happens to regress.
A new way to communicate
Transparent lines of communication between Emmy’s Academy Care Team members is the utmost importance for the development of each child under our special care. Each child has an account in the KinderTales App which allows transparent lines of communication about their day. We share all developmental progress and encourage the families to share IFSP/IEPs and any therapy goals they’re working on so we can uphold them while they’re in our care.
Much more than childcare
All children at Emmy’s Academy receive a developmentally appropriate, inclusive preschool education with a curriculum focused on addressing the four developmental domains (physical, emotional, social and cognitive), giving them a solid foundation to succeed later in their elementary school years.
The Importance of Inclusion
Creating an inclusive environment allows children of all abilities to have access to the same education, fosters understanding, teaches acceptance, and helps each student maximize their potential by providing a more authentic educational experience.
Emmy’s Academy welcomes all
Emmy’s Academy serves all children: typical and with special needs. We believe that every child is unique, even if they have the same diagnosis. Our highly-trained staff and Special Education team has experience with children that have a wide variety of challenges and developmental delays.